Designer, professor of product design, and researcher of everyday objects.
Graduated in Communication Design from the Faculty of Fine Arts of the University of Porto, Master in Industrial Design from the Faculty of Engineering of the University of Porto, and Ph.D. in Design from the Department of Communication and Art of the University of Aveiro.
Dedicated to project and design criticism teaching, he is a Professor of the Department of Communication and Art of the University of Aveiro and collaborates with the Master's degree in Industrial and Product Design of the Faculty of Fine Arts of the University of Porto. He collaborated with the ESAD School of Art and Design and the University of Beira Interior, where he was a Professor, a member of the Scientific Council of the Faculty of Arts and Letters, of the Faculty Council, and Course Director of the 2nd cycle in Industrial Design.
Collaborator of the ID+ research unit and member of Design Obs. - For a Design Observatory in Portugal: Models, Instruments, Representation and Strategies, a project funded by FCT.
With the professional practice of product, communication, and identity design, in the studio Box / Borges-Rato, in the latest non-profit project One-Off, or in support of partnerships established at the University, developed or collaborated in the development of projects for national and international partners such as Alliance Healthcare, Área Metropolitana do Porto, BA Glass, Clã, Grilo Kitchenware, J.P. Sá Couto, Joalpe, Mota-Engil, Novartis, Optimus/Nos, Portgás, Porto Editora, Spal, Studio Andrew Howard, Teixeira Duarte, Vodafone ou Wook.
Started activity in 1994, having been General Coordinator of Design at Porto Editora Multimedia from 1996 to 2001, forming a widely awarded team.
- Professor Auxiliar Universidade de Aveiro
- Professor Auxiliar convidado Faculdade de Belas Artes da Universidade do Porto
Detalhes relativos ao doutoramento
- Title Normal, memória, invisibilidade e significado nos objectos
- Field Product Design
- Year 2015
Grupos de Investigação
Capítulos de livros
- Costa, N.; Branco, V.; Costa, R.; Borges, A.; Modesto, A.; Cunca, R.; Silva, A. (2021), Design Infrastructures: proposing alternative strategies for countries with a lower maturation of design culture, 12th International Conference on Applied Human Factors and Ergonomics (AHFE 2021) and the Affiliated Conferences, New York, July 25-29
- Costa, N.; Branco, V.; Costa, R.; Borges, A.; Modesto, A.; Cunca, R.; Silva, A., (2021) DesignOBS: crafting a distributed design observation approach, CUMULUS’21, 8-11 June, Roma, Italy
- Costa, N.; Branco, V.; Costa, R.; Borges, A.; Modesto, A.; Cunca, R.; Silva, A. (2021), Mapping the Research thread of PhDs in Design: a PhD citation analysis of the Portuguese doctorates, 8th International Conference on Research into Design, 7-10 January 2021, IDC School of Design, IIT, Bombay, India
- Costa, N., Branco, V., Costa, R., Borges, A., Modesto, A., Silva, C., & Cunca, R. (2020). TOWARDS A DESIGN OBSERVATORY: THE CASE OF SCHOLARLY DESIGN RESEARCH IN PORTUGAL. In Proceedings of the Design Society: DESIGN Conference (Vol. 1, pp. 827-836). Cambridge University Press.
- Borges A. & Vicente J. (2018) The Hard Life: A Pedagogical Experience in Industrial Design, in F. Rebelo & M. Soares (Ed.) Advances in Ergonomics in Design, vol. 777, Proceedings of the AHFE 2018 International Conference on Ergonomics in Design (pp.561-571), July 21–25, Springer, Cham USA, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-94706-8_59, ISBN: 978-3-319-94705-1, Online ISBN: 978-3-319-94706-8
- Sousa, A., Sarmento, T., Borges, A. & Mendonça, R. (2019) Affordance, a Concept for a Measurable Design – Fitness furniture, a case study, Proceeding of Design Revolutions IASDR 2019 International Association of Societies of Design Research Conference, 2-5 Sept, Manchester, UK: Manchester School of Art of Manchester Metropolitan University
- Borges, A. & Vicente, J. (2019). Industrial Design Course in a Low-Density Region, in E. Bohemia & All (Ed.) DS95 Proceedings of the 21st International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education E&PDE 2019, 12-13 Sept, Glasgow, UK, University of Strathclyde, DOI: https://doi.org/10.35199/epde2019.59, ISBN: 978-1-912254-05-7
- Borges, A. & Moura, C. (2019) Protecting the Memory of Objets from Nostalgia, in K. Yaegashi, R. Valusyte, A. Biamonti, H. Anzai (Ed.) Meanings of Design in the Next Era, Proceedings of 4D – designing development / developing design (pp.217-219), 21-23 Oct, Osaka, Japan: Rustimeikan University, ISBN-978-4-600-00239-8
- Costa, N., Branco, V., Costa, R., Borges, A., Modesto, A., Silva, C., & Cunca, R. (2020). TOWARDS A DESIGN OBSERVATORY: THE CASE OF SCHOLARLY DESIGN RESEARCH IN PORTUGAL. Proceedings of the Design Society: DESIGN Conference, 1, 827-836. Cambridge University Press. doi:10.1017/dsd.2020.327
- Costa, N., Branco, V., Costa, R., Borges, A., Modesto, A., Silva, C., & Cunca, R. (2020). Towards a Design Observatory: crafting a distributed approach, in Research@UA, pp.58, https://www.ua.pt/file/61865
- Costa, N., Branco, V., Costa, R., Borges, A., Cunca, R., Modesto, A., Silva., A. (2020). Design doctorates undertaken in Portugal (Version 1) [Data set]. Zenodo. http://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3701614
- Costa, N., Branco, V., Costa, R., Borges, A., Cunca, R., Silva, A.C., & Modesto, A. (2020). Towards a Design Observatory: crafting a distributed approach. In Research@UA (Vol. 10, p. 56).
- 1. Borges, A., Silva, A.C., Modesto, A., Cunca, A.R., Costa, R. & Branco, V. (2018), REDE#01 Reunião de Escolas de Design. Aveiro, UA Editora.
Produção científica, artística e cultural
- Branco, V., Costa, N. & et al. (2019) Relatório de Progresso sobre o projecto DesignObs – Para um Observatório de Design em Portugal: Modelos, Instrumentos, Representação e Estratégias [PTDC/ART-DAQ/32445/2017]
Organização de eventos científicos
- COSTA, Rui (2019) – Organizer of REDE#02 – Reunião de Escolas de Design,IPCA, Barcelos, Portugal, 31 October 2019.