Passionate about good food and good wines, also obsessed with drawing. Born in the city of Porto, in Ordem do Terço. Resident in São João da Madeira, Portugal.
He has always studied visual arts and design, holding a Design Graduation by University of Aveiro, a MFA in Design by University of Barcelona, a MFA in Drawing and Printing Technics by University of Porto, and he’s currently a PhD Candidate in Design, at the Aveiro University.
Assistant Professor in the Product Design Graduation at the School of Architecture, University of Minho between 2013 and 2016. Designer with own cabinet in conjunction with Nuno Oliveira, between 2009 and 2011. Worked as Industrial and Communication Designer at Chatron between 2007 and 2009, with which continues to collaborate regularly.
Creates and designs maps regularly, which are “taylor made” to the body of places, combining the drawing of vistas with the cartographic code. He’s often takes part in drawing exhibitions.
His observational drawings usually capture the quotidian places, moments and landscapes, using ballpoint Bic pen, with a fascination to express the correct line at the first trace. The work is lonely, slow and obsessive.
- Bolseiro FCT - Programa Doutoral Design Universidade de Aveiro
- Cardoso, J. M., & Costa, R. (2019). Visions and visualizations of the world: the evolution of representation of places in the Middle Ages. Book Chapter. UD18 Invisible Design – 7th Meeting of PhD Design Research.
- Carvalho Cardoso, J. M. (2019). Maps ‘Tailor Made’ to the Body of Places: Design Strategies Against the Indifference of Representation. Design Journal, 22(1), 97–108. — International Journal Article
- PROVIDÊNCIA, Francisco, QUENTAL, Joana, RAMOS, Igor, CARDOSO, José Miguel, AFREIXO, Lígia, NEVES, Liliana, OSKAM, Pierre, GOMES, Raquel, CRUZ, Rita, BOELTER, Valéria, RODRIGUES, Yago W. (Jan-2019) UD18 Proceedings Book: Invisible Design – 7th Meeting on PhD Design Research. Aveiro:Universidade de Aveiro.
- Cardoso, J. M., & Costa, R. (2018). Visions and visualizations of the world. UD18 Invisible Design – 7th Meeting of PhD Design Research. — Conference proceedings lecturer
- Carvalho Cardoso, J. M. (2018). Bird´s-eye view of São João da Madeira. MooD Museum Of Design. A DESIGN Award – 2018. — Conference object
- Cardoso, J. M., & Costa, R. (2018a). Mapas feitos à medida do corpo dos lugares:estratégias de design por uma representação significativa. Ciência 2018: Science and Technology Summit in Portugal. — Conference object
- Cardoso, J. M., & Costa, R. (2018). Representing places through its absence: one drawing strategy against the indifference of representation. PGR Drawing Research Network Conference 2018. — Conference proceedings lecturer
- Cardoso, J. M., & Costa, R. (2018). “Representing Places by their Absence: A Design Strategy Against the Indifference of Representation”. International Congress on Cultural Mapping: Linking Heritage (Tangible and Intangible) and Creative Tourism. — Conference proceedings lecturer
- Cardoso, J. M. (2016). Guia Inusitado do Porto. BOOOOOOK 2 – DESIGNERBOOKS: ISBN-13: 978-988-13782-5-5 — Book Part
- Cardoso, J. M. (2016). Catavino´s Port Lodge Map. All About Maps Sandu Publishing: ISBN 9781584236269 — Book Part
- Cardoso, J. M. (2016). Panorama of Matosinhos. Drawing featured and interview. DPI Magazine Taiwan — Vol.207 — Cities beyond imagination, ISBN:1029-6999 — Book Part
- Cardoso, J. M. (2013). O Porto Limpo: o desenho de contorno enquanto estratégia para o inusitado. Encontros Estúdio UM: Temas e Objectos Do Desenho, (6), 52. Retrieved from http://hdl.handle.net/1822/54210 — Conference paper
- Orador nos Encontros Estúdio UM #6 Observação, com apresentação do projecto de investigação em desenho: Guia Inusitado do Porto. 26/06/2013. EAUM – Escola de Arquitectura da Universidade do Minho | conference-abstract. — Lecturer
Scientific, artistic and cultural production
Projects/works winners in national competitions
- INNOVATION AWARD — Tektónica 2017 — 1º PRIZE — Designer in the project team of CHATRON Lda. for the product: Solar Light Tube: Heavy Floor Soled – Lisboa – May 2017
- INNOVATION AWARD — Tektónica 2011 — HONORABLE MENTION — Designer in the project team of CHATRON Lda. for the product: Solar Light Tube: Roof Window – Lisboa – May 2011
Projects/works winners in international competitions
- Cardoso, J. M. (2018). A DESIGN AWARD 2018 — SILVER — Graphics and Visual Communication Design Category — Illustrated Map of Sao Joao da Madeira. https://competition.adesignaward.com/design.php?ID=60850
- INTERNATIONAL DESIGN AWARD — IDA 16 — GOLD — Wayfinding & Environmental Graphics — Mapa Ilustrado de São João da Madeira. https://idesignawards.com/winners/zoom.php?eid=9-13771-17
Scientific events organization
- PROVIDÊNCIA, Francisco, QUENTAL, Joana, RAMOS, Igor, CARDOSO, José Miguel, AFREIXO, Lígia, NEVES, Liliana, OSKAM, Pierre, GOMES, Raquel, CRUZ, Rita, BOELTER, Valéria, RODRIGUES, Yago W. – Organizing Committee Member — UD18 – 7th Meeting on PhD Design Research — Invisible Design — 14-15 Jun 2018. http://ud18.web.ua.pt/index.php/en/english
Other relevant cultural production
- Cardoso, J. M. (2018). ITINERARY COLLECTIVE EXHIBITION — A’ Design Award & Competition – Winners’ Exhibition 2017 – 2018 – Graphics and Visual Communication Design – at MOOD Museum of Design — EX-Chiesa di San Francesco, Como, Italy. 10th June – 7th July 2018 |||||| — at Festival of Architecture and Interior Designing Conference in The Lalit Mumbai, India. 7-8th December 2018 |||||| — at Festival of Architecture and Interior Designing Conference in The Lalit New Deli, India. 21-22th September 2018 |||||| — at Hebei Design Week Exhibition in Rongcheng Citizens Sports Center. Hebei, China, 18-24th October 2018 |||||| — in Shenzhen International Industrial Design Week, at Shenzhen Convention and Exhibition Center, Futian Shenzhen, China. 05-07th November 2018 |||||| — at Hebei Design Center Exhibition in Hebei Industrial Design Innovation Center. Hebei, China. 01-31th December 2018.
- COLLECTIVE EXHIBITION — IDA 16 – GRAPHIC DESIGN – Gold Winner – Wayfinding & Environmental Graphics Category – Mapa Ilustrado de São João da Madeira. Los Angeles, USA. Jun 2017.
- Cardoso, J. M. (2018). EXHIBITION — map Publishing “Illustrated Map of São João da Madeira” in the event — 9º Illustration Encounters of São João da Madeira — October 2016
- DRAWING HIGHLIGHTED — and Interview in the publication DPI Magazine Taiwan – Vol. 207 – Cities beyond imagination, ISBN:1029-6999 with Panorama of Matosinhos — July 2016
- MAP HIGHLIGHTED — in the publication “All About Maps“Sandu Publishing:ISBN 9781584236269 with Catavino´s Port Lodge Map — March 2016
- CITY GUIDE FEATURED — in publication BOOOOOOK 2 – DESIGNERBOOKS: ISBN-13: 978-988-13782-5-5 with “Unusual Guide of Porto” — January 2016
- CURATOR and Coordinator at XVIII Bienal de Cerveira 2015 — Inflatables – Useless objects for the public space, in the scope of the Curricular Unit of Project Concept and Form of the 1st Year of the Product Design Course, School of Architecture of University of Minho. Exhibition Catalog XVIII Bienal de Cerveira: ISBN 978-989-98515-1-1. Presentation video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTYi1479YmI&feature=youtu.be
- ITINERARY COLLECTIVE EXHIBITION — “Lugar Próximo” at the Gallery of the University of Minho, School of Architecture with the drawing Vista of Matosinhos – July 2015 |||||| — and at Museum Alberto Sampaio. Guimarães, Portugal. October 2015.
- COLLECTIVE EXHIBITION — Drawings from EAUM Teachers on Estúdio UM – School of Architecture of University of Minho. January 2015
- ARTIST RESIDENCE — AXA 1st Avenue – and exhibitions with the work “Panorama” — Porto, December 2013 — https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc1AIKmPbeM
- COLLECTIVE EXHIBITION — “Off The Line. Exhibition of drawing and printing techniques incorporated in the 40th Annual Conference of the International Association for Philosophy of Sport” — Porto — 2012
- DRAWING FOR EXHIBITION — 250 years of the Creation Boating Class in Porto city – Drawing, reconstitution of the Ship — 2012