Researcher currently based in Aveiro University and integrated member at the Research Institute for Design, Media and Culture (ID+). Nina Costa has undertaken her initial training in the area of ¿Product Design and Technologies at Aveiro (ESAN) and her master in Industrial Design at the Faculty of Engineering University of Porto (FEUP). Her PhD, developed within the MIT-Portugal program, in collaboration with MIT and INESC TEC, focused on integrating Product-Service system Design and Service Design approaches. Throughout her career, Nina has worked with multiple companies, in particular, in the energy sector during her post-doc (EDP commercial) and with manufacturing company (Laborial). Additionally, she published her work in Design and Service conferences e.g. IPDMC, QUIS and ServDes, being the first author of 12 publications. She published an article in a leading international scientific journal in the field of Design (design studies); and has been invited to present her work at FEUP, on multiple occasions, and at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) during her exchange period. She participated in management activities of the Service Design for Innovation Network (SDIN), a Marie-Curie research program funded by H2020; and is currently working on the DesignOBS project: "For a Design Observatory in Portugal: Models, Instruments, Representation and Strategies", reference POCI-01-0145-FEDER-032445, as the main assistant researcher. Her current work is focused on Design ecosystems observation and mapping.
- Junior Researcher ID+ UA
- Title Designing Product-Service System solutions for value co-creation: integrating PSS and Service design
- Field Product Service Systems design
- Year 2017
- Costa, N.; Branco, V.; Costa, R.; Borges, A.; Modesto, A.; Cunca, R.; Silva, A. (2021), Design Infrastructures: proposing alternative strategies for countries with a lower maturation of design culture in Advances in Human Dynamics for the Development of Contemporary Societies, Proceedings of the AHFE 2021 Virtual Conference on Human Dynamics for the Development of Contemporary Societies, July 25-29, 2021, USA, New York, July 25-29, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-80415-2
- Costa, N.; Branco, V.; Costa, R.; Borges, A.; Modesto, A.; Cunca, R.; Silva, A., (2021) DesignOBS: crafting a distributed design observation approach, CUMULUS’21, 8-11 June, Roma, Italy
- Costa, N., Costa, R., Borges, A., Branco, V., Cunca, R., Modesto, A., & Silva, A. C. (2021). Mapping the research thread of design PhDs: a PhD citation analysis of the Portuguese Doctorates. In R. J. Howlett & L. C. Jain (Eds.), Design for Tomorrow (Vol. 2, pp. 203–216). https://doi.org/10.2307/1566881
- Costa, N., Branco, V., Costa, R., Borges, A., Modesto, A., Silva, C., & Cunca, R. (2020). TOWARDS A DESIGN OBSERVATORY: THE CASE OF SCHOLARLY DESIGN RESEARCH IN PORTUGAL. In Proceedings of the Design Society: DESIGN Conference (Vol. 1, pp. 827-836). Cambridge University Press.
- Costa, N., Patrício, L., Morelli, N., & Magee, C. L. (2018). Bringing Service Design to manufacturing companies: integrating Service Design and PSS design approaches. Design Studies, 55, 112–145. Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.1016/j.destud.2017.09.002
- Costa N., Costa R., Branco V., Borges A., Silva A. C., Modesto A., Cunca R., (2021), Representação e literacia dos dados: o caso das empresas de design em Portugal, 10th Information Design International Conference (CIDI), 18-22 October, Curitiba, Brasil, pp.1108-1107, https://www.proceedings.blucher.com.br/article-list/cidicongic2021-357/list#articles
- Costa, Nina; Patrício, L.; Morelli, N., (2016) “Revisiting PSS and Service design approaches in the light of the SD Logic”, SERVDES 2016, May 24-226, Copenhagen, Denmark, https://ep.liu.se/ecp/125/010/ecp16125010.pdf
- Costa, Nina; Patrício, L.; Morelli, N., (2015) “Designing integrated product-service system solutions in manufacturing industries”, QUIS14, June 18-21, Xangai, China, pp 785-794, https://vbn.aau.dk/en/publications/designing-integrated-product-service-system-solutions-in-manufact
- Costa, Nina; Patrício, L.; Morelli, N., (2015) “Integrating Product-Service System design with Service Design & Service Logic: the case of laboratory manufacturing industry”, IPDMC, June 14-16, Copenhagen, Denmark
- Costa, Nina; Coimbra, O., and Ferreira, J. P., (2013) “Computer Platforms to Support Collaborative Design and Development”, IDEMI 2013, September 4-6, Oporto, Portugal, pp. 645 – 654.
- Costa, Pedro J., Rodrigues, M., Costa, N., Rodrigues, R., Alaniz, T. (2012) “Industrial design workshop: Auto-sustainable guest-house for via students”, 15th International Conference on Experimental Mechanics (ICEM15) pp. 1-13
- Costa, N., Branco, V., Costa, R., Borges, A., Modesto, A., Silva, C., & Cunca, R. (2020). TOWARDS A DESIGN OBSERVATORY: THE CASE OF SCHOLARLY DESIGN RESEARCH IN PORTUGAL. Proceedings of the Design Society: DESIGN Conference, 1, 827-836. Cambridge University Press. doi:10.1017/dsd.2020.327
- Costa, Nina; Patrício, L.; Morelli, N., (2018) “A Designerly-way of Conducting Qualitative Research in Design Studies”, SERVDES 2018 Proof of Concept, June 10-13, Milan, Italy
- Costa, Nina; Duborjal Cabral A., Duborjal Cabral A., Duarte A., Gonçalves C., Ascenção D., Vasconcelos I., Frias Riobom D. (2019), “Ecoteracy: designing an info-inclusive sustainability language”, 3-4 April, Designing Sustainability for All, LeNS conference
- Costa, Nina; Patrício, L.; Morelli, N., (2015) “Towards an integrated approach to design for value co-creation”, UD15: Periphery and Promise, October 19-20, Porto, Portugal
- Costa, N., Branco, V., Costa, R., Borges, A., Modesto, A., Silva, C., & Cunca, R. (2020). Towards a Design Observatory: crafting a distributed approach, in Research@UA, pp.58, https://www.ua.pt/file/61865
- Costa, Nina; Patrício, L.; Morelli, N., (2017) “Integrating PSS and Service Design approaches for service innovation”, QUIS15, June 18-21, Porto, Portugal
- Costa, Nina; Patrício, L.; Morelli, N., (2016) “Towards an integrated approach to design for value co-creation”, IEMS16 symposium, January 5th, Porto, Portugal
- Costa, Nina; Patrício, L.; Morelli, N., (2015) “Designing product-service systems in the light of the service-logic”, engineering roundtables, Sept 22, Guimarães, Porto
- Costa, N., Branco, V., Costa, R., Borges, A., Cunca, R., Modesto, A., Silva., A. (2020). Design doctorates undertaken in Portugal (Version 1) [Data set]. Zenodo. http://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3701614
- Costa, N., Branco, V., Costa, R., Borges, A., Cunca, R., Silva, A.C., & Modesto, A. (2020). Towards a Design Observatory: crafting a distributed approach. In Research@UA (Vol. 10, p. 56).
Scientific, artistic and cultural production
- Branco, V., Costa, N. & et al. (2019) Relatório de Progresso sobre o projecto DesignObs – Para um Observatório de Design em Portugal: Modelos, Instrumentos, Representação e Estratégias [PTDC/ART-DAQ/32445/2017]