Graduated in Fine Arts by the Fine Arts School of Bordeaux (2005). Master in Contemporary Artistic Creation, by the University of Aveiro (2019). PhD candidate in Design, at the Faculty of Fine Arts of the University of Porto, she holds a scholarship by Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia for the development of the research project “Visual and semantic identities of the city of Porto: an ascertainment of the contributions of informal dwelling”, hosted by the Research Institute for Design, Media and Culture (ID+) and by the Center for Studies in Architecture and Urbanism (CEAU).
Her professional activity has been moving between the practice, teaching, and research of visual arts and culture, with an emphasis on photography and editorial projects. Her photographic and written production, disseminated through communications, publications, and exhibitions in different contexts, focuses on the construction, perception, and representation of urban space, particularly on the dynamics of production and use of public space and their social aesthetic and political impacts.
- PhD researcher Universidade do Porto
- Rebelo, Ana Miriam; Alvelos, Heitor; Domingues, Álvaro (2021). The City is Not a Brand: a critical analysis of the narrative and appropriations of “Porto.” Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Design and Digital Communication, DIGICOM 2021.
- Rebelo, Ana Miriam; Heitor Alvelos (2021). Branding as Antagonism: visual identities as templates of urban ideology. In MONU, Magazine on Urbanism Nº 34: Protest Urbanism. Rotterdam: Bureau of Architecture, Research, and Design, 2021
Scientific, artistic and cultural production
Scientific events organization
- Alvelos, H., Kosztyla, A., Fernandes, A., Rebelo, A. M., Casteião, A., Mergener, D., Palmares, H., Lopes, L., Brasil, M., Fragoso, P. & Brandão, R. – Organizing Committee (2021). Doctoral Side Effects – Let’s talk about doing a PhD during a pandemic. 21st May 2021. https://bit.ly/2Q_BhI1m
Other scientific activity spreading actions
- Rebelo, Ana Miriam, and Heitor Alvelos. (2021). The improvised city: contributions of informal dwelling towards an expanded paradigm of the metropolis. The case of Porto, Portugal. In KISMIF International Conference on DIY Cultures and Global Challenges, Universidade do Porto, Julho de 2021.