Hugo Palmares, born in Porto, is a designer, artist, and educator. Studied at FBAUP in Porto, ENSBA in Paris, UA in Aveiro, IADE in Lisbon, and at IPAM in Porto. Currently he is a PhD candidate in design at FBAUP, and he holds a scholarship by FCT, hosted by the ID+ Research Institute for Design, Media and Culture. His research work focuses on cultural evolution, symbiosis of art and industry, traditional and innovative processes, design methods, design management, and design education. He has worked as a designer in the industry for over 15 years, in companies such as Procalçado in Porto and Decathlon in Lille. In the academic area since 2016, he is an invited assistant at IPCA in Barcelos, professor in courses such as illustration and graphic art, footwear design, and fashion design. He publishes his work in national and international design conferences, journals, and book chapters. His work in design and art has been exhibited, among others, at Circolo del Design in Turin, Biennale Internationale Design Saint-Étienne/Cité du design in Saint-Étienne, Palacete dos Viscondes de Balsemão in Porto, Convento de Corpus Christi in Vila Nova de Gaia, Galerie Gauche/Beaux-Arts in Paris. He also co-curated design and art exhibitions, such as at Casa das Artes in Porto and at Fábrica de Santo Thyrso in Santo Tirso. Artist/designer in the FUSION project/residency (Fashion Up-Skilling: Innovation Open Network), in an international partnership led by TUS in Limerick, funded by Creative Europe.
- Invited Assistant Polytechnic Institute of Cávado and Ave (IPCA)
- FCT Research Fellow Faculty of Fine Arts of the University of Porto (FBAUP)
- Palmares, H., Terroso, M., Costa, E. (2023). Design Culture Ladder: Creation of a Diagnosis Tool to Evolve Industry. In Martins, N., & Brandão, D. (Eds) Advances in Design and Digital Communication III. DIGICOM 2022. Springer Series in Design and Innovation , vol 27. Springer, Cham. Link
- Palmares, H., Terroso, M., Costa, E. (2022). Inter ‘Face-To-Face’: Remote Co-creation for an Artifact. In Martins, N. & Brandão, D. (Eds) Advances in Design and Digital Communication II. DIGICOM 2021. Springer Series in Design and Innovation , vol 19. Springer, Cham. Link
- Terroso, M., Moreno, A., Amorim, N., Palmares, H., & Sampaio, J. (2018). Immersive Business Simulation in Footwear Design Education: A bridge for reality. In Broega et al. (Eds) Reverse Design: A Current Scientific Vision From the International Fashion and Design Congress, CRC Press, Taylors & Francis ISBN 978-1-138-37011-1 Link
- Terroso, M., Moreno, A., Palmares, H., Pinto, J., Matos, D., & Sampaio, J. (2019). Focus on process and outcome in footwear design education, in Procedia CIRP , Elsevier B.V. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procir.2019.04.316 Link
- Palmares, H., Terroso, M., & Costa, E. (2022). Design Culture Ladder: Creation of a Diagnosis Tool to Evolve Industry. Conference Proceedings Digicom 2022 – 6th International Conference on Design and Digital Communication, 3-5 November 2022, Barcelos, Portugal. Link
- Fernandes A., Kosztyła A., Casteião A., Mergener D., Morais E., Alvelos H., Palmares H., Martins I., Lopes L., Rosa M., Rebelo A., Zanini M., Lopes P., & Mourão S. (2022). Doctoral Side Effects: Damage Limitation Versus Unexpected Benefits to PhD Research in a Pandemic. The European Conference on Arts, Design & Education – ECADE 2022 Conference Proceedings, 7-10 July 2022, Porto, Portugal. Link
- Palmares, H., Terroso, M., & Costa, E. (2021). Inter ‘Face-To-Face’: Remote Co-creation for an Artifact. Conference Proceedings Digicom 2021 – 5th International Conference on Design and Digital Communication, 4-6 November 2021, Barcelos, Portugal. Link
- Terroso, M., Moreno, A., Amorim, N., Palmares, H., & Sampaio, J. (2018). Immersive Business Simulation in Footwear Design Education: A Bridge for Reality. Conference Proceedings CIMODE 2018 Madrid – 4th International Fashion and Design Congress, May 2018, Madrid, Spain.
- Palmares, H., Terroso, M., & Costa, E. D. (2022). Perceção da cultura de design na indústria do calçado em Portugal: Agentes de transferência de conhecimento e de visão. Presented at the V Encontro Indústria, História, Património, Museu de Lanifícios da Universidade da Beira Interior, 7-8 April 2022, Covilhã, Portugal. Link
- Palmares, H. (2021). Evolution of the design culture in the Portuguese footwear industry: Co-creation of a toolkit as an interface for diagnosis, prescription, verification and validation. In Abstracts Booklet of the RUN-EU General Assembly – European Innovation Hub Online Conference, Ireland (Limerick, Thurles and Athlone), 3rd November 2021. Link
- Palmares, H. (2021). (r)Evolution of the design culture in the Portuguese footwear industry: Toolkit as an interface for diagnosis, prescription, verification and validation. Poster Presentation, Ciência 2021 – Encontro com a Ciência e Tecnologia em Portugal. Lisboa, Portugal. https://lnkd.in/g_eEi2M Link
Scientific, artistic and cultural production
Scientific events organization
- Alvelos, H., Kosztyla, A., Fernandes, A., Rebelo, A. M., Casteião, A., Mergener, D., Palmares, H., Lopes, L., Brasil, M., Fragoso, P. & Brandão, R. – Organizing Committee (2021). Doctoral Side Effects – Let’s talk about doing a PhD during a pandemic. 21st May 2021. https://bit.ly/2Q_BhI1m
Other relevant cultural production
- Palmares, H. (2022). Prevent [Installation] at the collective exhibition FUSION Creative Europe, curated by Rui Effe. Antiga Casa do Vinho, Barcelos, Portugal. 2022 September 27 – 2022 October 7.
- Palmares, H. (2022). Prevent Your Walking Issues [Installation] at the collective exhibition FUSION. Circolo del Design, Turin, Italy. 2022 May 25 – 2022 June 9.